Sunday, June 22, 2008

My Baby Brother

"Off the Wall"
5X7 Acrylic on Canvas
This is my first attempt to paint a semi side profile. I really don’t like to paint hands. I especially dislike it when the model (my unusual brother) is making one of these gestures that is so characteristic of him, and I end up making him look like “The Claw!” There are 9 years between us, so I am completely oblivious to what this gesture means, but I am sure it means he is “cool” or something. It should, because I think he is.

The motivation behind my desire to paint Tommy came from a recent rediscovery of the portrait of ME that HE drew many years ago. While picking up books that my 19-month-old threw all over his room, I found my brother’s picture "posted" on the back cover of the Little Golden Book, "Pete's Dragon". (I’ve posted it below to showcase his remarkable talent.)

Tommy - I think your painting portrayed “80s teenage girl” very well. I hope you are happy with my portrait of you.
"Heylay" by Tommy
Pen on Little Golden Book

2 comments:

ch said...

Ok I'm back! I'm so proud of you!
Love this one of Tommy. You've captured the mood and attitude perfectly.

I especially love your handling of the glasses of beer(?)The hand's pretty good too.

mantiz said...

still giggling from that one!